Wednesday, April 28, 2010

food & drink: fish stock

I got very excited last night and made ... 3 litres of fish stock.  I had an old snapper carcass stored in the freezer from a previous meal and we bought another whole snapper which we had for dinner on Monday night.  

Last night, I decided to make the most of both carcasses and made some stock.  It was much easier than I thought.  After consulting a couple of recipe books, I removed the eyes and gills, broke up the carcasses, put them in a big stock pot, covered them with cold water, put the lid on and turned the stove on to a low heat.  Once the water boiled, I took the lid off, turned the heat down and let it simmer for 20 minutes. 


After 20 minutes, I turned the heat off, strained the stock through a sieve with a chux in it, to make sure I got the last of the bones and poured the stock into 125ml (1/4 cup) containers.  




Once the containers had cooled, I stuck them in the freezer.


I made just under 3 litres of stock from 3 litres of water and two snapper carcasses.  Both carcasses were originally 1kg fish, before they were gutted and eaten.  

The first recipe I'm planning on using the fish stock for a prawn and saffron risotto recipe I found. I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails